Sunday, September 19, 2010

Introduction

My name is Vinnie Meloni and I am a Sports Management major at Bowling Green with a minor in journalism.  I am from Rochester, New York and I ended up at BGSU because of their great sports management program and because I wanted to leave home and start fresh and see what I can do with a new life and new adventures and people.  Sports have always been important in my life.  I may not be the best athlete, but whenever something involves sports, I am always more motivated to do and end up doing it much better than anything else I have to do.

There is not really any sport I do not like and very few sports I have not played, most in leagues, others just for fun with friends.  My favorite sports to play are baseball, tennis, lacrosse, football and basketball and I will call myself playing golf more as an attempt than actually playing.  My favorite sports to watch are baseball, soccer, hockey, lacrosse, and tennis.  Generally speaking, I prefer college sports to professional sports because in college its all about the passion and winning, not the money.  Baseball is by far my favorite sport because of how complex it is.  The casual fans do not realize it, but it is by far the most complicated sport to play as a whole and has so many games within the games that makes it difficult to learn how to properly coach and manage a team.

 I have always enjoyed watching soccer and with World Cup fever finally slowing down, I still have to say that the FIFA World Cup may be the biggest international event that I would want to go to.  So many people from thirty two nations from all around the country all together under one common theme: the beautiful game of soccer.  I would also love to attend the Summer Olympics and try to go to every event, as I constantly stay up late watching all different kinds of events.  Finally, I have always had an obsession and always wanted to travel to Australia, so with that and my love for tennis, the Australian Open is a must for me.  This past year’s tournament I stayed up until about five or six in the morning every night for those two weeks watching all the matches and I would love to see it live in Rod Laver Arena.

I never come into any class with expectations, I always just expect myself to sit down and learn a thing or two.  I am excited for this class because of how different it is and its topics.  I’m looking forward to discussing how things are different in the eyes of people from other nations.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Vinnie,

    This is a great Introduction to your blog. I was interested to see that you are from Rochester and like baseball best of all. But you did not say who your favorite team was. Is it fair to conclude that you are a Yankees fan? Since you are also a tennis fan, have you ever gone to the U.S. Open? I would definitely encourage you to attend the Australian Open if you get a chance! I have been to both the U.S. and Australian Opens, and there is something really special about the Australian Open. For one thing, it is not as expensive (except the flight to Australia:-) I still hope to go to the French Open and Wimbledon!

    I look forward to reading the future posts on your blog. Great start!

    Dr. Spencer

    ReplyDelete